Bella Voce

to share, to hear, to listen, to discover, to learn . . . continuously

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

Yes, "bellevoce" does not match the title of my blog. This near-Italian username stems from a play on words of my childhood nickname of Elle in combination with the Italian translation of "beautiful voice (bella voce)." My mother coined this name for my first email address and I have come to love it for its root in my Italian heritage and remembrance of my childhood.

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sky High

I’m in the air – literally. I don’t know where in particular I’m flying over, probably Northern California or Utah right now. We just turned to the North and the cabin fills with golden sunlight. By golden, I mean that glorious color when the sun has about an hour until it sets. It’s the gold that you have to step outside to be bathed in its beauty no matter what you are doing. I glance out the window and the terrain below looks like a ruffled evening gown – a sage colored satin beneath a delicately sheer teal tulle. Unfortunately, with the direction we’re heading, the sun is setting rapidly. I crane my head now to catch the last glow of the sun before it’s gone over North America. The horizon burns like a cooling ember – no longer on fire, but trying to stay lit for just a moment longer. The evening dress below no longer enchants my eyes; it has turned into the desert it truly is. Where am I in the sky? The sun is gone, only a dull grey remains, like my heart.

-Written on board British Airways Flight 0282 September 16, 2008


---

Leave a comment...

2 Comments:

Blogger Me said...

Welcome home :)

October 01, 2008 3:50 AM  
Blogger Me said...

Whoops, I got my directions mixed up.

Silly me =/

October 02, 2008 2:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home