Bella Voce

to share, to hear, to listen, to discover, to learn . . . continuously

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

Yes, "bellevoce" does not match the title of my blog. This near-Italian username stems from a play on words of my childhood nickname of Elle in combination with the Italian translation of "beautiful voice (bella voce)." My mother coined this name for my first email address and I have come to love it for its root in my Italian heritage and remembrance of my childhood.

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

So Sorry if You Missed Me...

Upon the plea of my fellow bloggers, Matios and Orhan, I have (hopefully) returned to the blogging society once again.


I think that one of my problems has been my incessant procrastination. If I think of something to write about, I put it off until a “better” time has reached me. Thus forgetfulness takes hold and ::poof:: the inspiration is gone.


However, after needing to write, in 15 minutes, a short explanation as to why I am of the quality to take Honours level English courses at the University of Warwick in the Fall, I realized that the prime reason I have been inspired to write on my blog is probably due to the fact that I rarely wrote in general at all over the past few months. In fact, the ONLY essay that I had to write last quarter is my last post. I had two English classes and the only essay I wrote was for ART class!


As such, I shall now try to write, on my own, more frequently, even if they are not the scholarly masterpieces that I wish my posts to be, I suppose that I will share them anyways.


And now for a little insight into why I am an English major, I invite you to read that 250 word statement mentioned earlier.


“During my first class as a Political Science major, it took every nerve in my brain to stay awake through the dry lectures. My boredom reached such a point that I began using my class time to search the requirements for other majors. However, I ran into a slight problem; I didn’t have a back-up plan. I fretted about the major choice continuously until I realized something a few days later while sitting in a Freshman English composition class. No matter how dull I thought my professor to be, I loved reading, discussing, and even writing essays for my English class. Hence, that day after class, I went to my Dean’s office and switched majors.


Three years later, I have taken scores of English classes and rejoiced when I finally reached the level in my university career that the only classes that I needed to take were about Literature. Reading is not just work for me. I don’t read Ulysses or The Arabic Role in Medieval Literary History simply because I need to pass an exam after 10 weeks. Rather, I read because it inspires me and my inspiration flows through my fingers as they type furiously with the fervor of an aspiring scholar. It is with this passion that I feel I am capable to be taking English Literature classes at the Honours level. And where better to study the Literature of the English language, than in the home of its birth?”


---

Leave a comment...

2 Comments:

Blogger Me said...

The home of its birth? Forgive my dumbassary, but I thought you were in the US. Isn't the mother tongue traced back to England?

There is an Australian movie by the name of Kenny where the central character goes over to the states and meets a few locals at a convention. While the subject matter is understood he has little idea of what they're actually saying, he remarks; "has anyone called the Queen and told her what they're doing to her lanuage?"

All things considered, Australians have somewhat butchered the dictionary.

August 18, 2008 6:16 PM  
Blogger bellevoce said...

I am in the US right now, but I'll be studying in England in the Fall. I was required to write this essay to enroll in my Literature classes at the University of Warwick.

August 19, 2008 9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home