Bella Voce

to share, to hear, to listen, to discover, to learn . . . continuously

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

Yes, "bellevoce" does not match the title of my blog. This near-Italian username stems from a play on words of my childhood nickname of Elle in combination with the Italian translation of "beautiful voice (bella voce)." My mother coined this name for my first email address and I have come to love it for its root in my Italian heritage and remembrance of my childhood.

Friday, August 17, 2007

Zendagi Migzara

I don’t know how to write this post other than to say that The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini is simply astounding! He presents life with a taste of reality, not the complete tragedies of Shakespeare nor the utter bliss of Jane Austen (though I do love both). For the characters of his novel, life is “not a Hindi movie,” as a character says in the book. Life does not stop at the moment of a happy ending, but continues on for eons to come.

I personally feel that the blending of cultures creates a masterpiece of extraordinary intricacy and beauty. Yes, we all know the “works of art” that consist of purely one panel of color, but compare those to the alluring complexity of Van Gogh’s Starry Night or the mind boggling works of pointillism, such as those of Georges Seurat. So I feel Hosseini did with The Kite Runner. Every now and then, he would use his native tongue, Farsi, for nouns and phrases amidst his writing. Half of the time I already knew the words, the other half of the time, I learned new words. At one point, Hosseini used the phrase "Zendagi migzara." I knew that zendagi meant life and that the second word was a verb in the present tense, though I didn’t know what it meant. Oh, I felt the joy of learning more than the story line!

Amidst his story, Hosseini includes politics, a subject that cannot be left out for a novel set in the geography of Afghanistan. The politics presented, however, was not the American perspective of how “we saved the world,” but the Afghani, first hand experience of the turmoil of an oppressed and neglected people. You do not simply hear about the genocides and public stonings on television as we hear periodically on the evening news, but you witness them as through the eyes of a man torn between the wretched state of his homeland and two decades of living in American security.

And while politics was apparent, the true story was of the inner turmoil of betrayal versus loyalty, what the ties of brotherhood should do and fail to do. Yet even through the bleakest times, opportunities of redemption can still be grasped. Life can be very bitter sweet, but it goes on – zendagi migzara – but life goes on.



---
Leave a comment...

5 Comments:

Blogger Schmartypanz said...

the kite runner was one of the best books i've ever read! i won't bother trying to explain how the book made me feel and all that, cos its all in your post! haha.

i recommend it to everyone i meet...its a must read! ps- so's lord of the rings =D haha

August 18, 2007 1:24 AM  
Blogger bellevoce said...

iman rashyd,

thanks! i agree with you on LOTR as well!

August 18, 2007 10:47 PM  
Blogger Julee Ann said...

Thanks for the book review, I've added Kite Runner to my list of fall books to read. I love the idea of your previous post "Off The Wall" I was also trying to figure out if I needed to separate the journal from the blog. I'm thinking writing is writing--take me or leave me.

August 23, 2007 1:32 PM  
Blogger bellevoce said...

Julee Ann,

Thanks! Writing that post was kinda intense. We'll see if I can work up the courage to write something similar again.

To All,

I just wanted to add in this thought: An Afghan friend and I were chatting the other day and The Kite Runner came up in the conversation. He said that he didn't enjoy book at all. He felt that it cast a bad shadow on the Afghan people and he didn't want the oblivious reader to feel that all Afghans were the same as many of the characters in the book. I encouraged him that I did not take that from the book, but that I felt compassion for a people going through such trauma.

An interesting perspective. I think that we should all remember that within our entire world, there are people of every country that seek destruction, but there are also myriads of people who seek good.

August 25, 2007 11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Kite Runner was a good book, and this is a good review.

September 19, 2008 11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home