Bella Voce

to share, to hear, to listen, to discover, to learn . . . continuously

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

Yes, "bellevoce" does not match the title of my blog. This near-Italian username stems from a play on words of my childhood nickname of Elle in combination with the Italian translation of "beautiful voice (bella voce)." My mother coined this name for my first email address and I have come to love it for its root in my Italian heritage and remembrance of my childhood.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Too Much of a Good Thing

Recently, a friend told me about how heavy her backpack weighed. As we sat down in commons to rest between classes, she pulled out her plethora of provisions per idem: one textbook, a laptop, two notebooks, one novel, a wallet, a cell phone, a pack of pencils and pens, and a Bible. All of these materials matter for the completion of her day.

She noted that her back had been hurting her lately though. Although I viewed all of the items and assessed their necessity in my own mind, I asked her if each was indeed vital for that day.

She responded, “All of these things are good things. I just have too many good things.”

Inspiration hit me at that moment and I took a small amount of time to examine my own life, which has recently run me ragged. Indeed, I fill my life with “good things,” but perhaps I do not need all of these things. In further thought, I throw out two clichés, probably much to the chagrin of AJ:

“Acceptance of the good, prevents us from achieving the best.”

and

“Quality versus quantity.”

Letting our lives fill up with good things, let alone the bad things, without evaluating the true quality or necessity of each involvement prevents us from recognizing the best for our lives. As such, take time periodically to survey the things of your life. Unpack your backpack called life. Examine its contents. Take out a few things and store them for later, maybe even never. Remember that one uses a backpack to hold multiple things, but it has limits.

Just as our daily schedules change from day to day, so also, our lives shall develop and change over the course of our allotted time. Look ahead and plan for your next day, but save that extra space for the time when you need it.

The question is: can I follow my own advice?



---
Leave a comment...

3 Comments:

Blogger AJ Harbison said...

What? I'm a big fan of cliches! As I always say, cliches became cliches for a reason--because they're very often true.

And, I can't believe that in your discussion of cliches you didn't throw out the Morabito-ism on this subject (and since I got here first I'll steal it from him):

"Sometimes you have to say no to a good thing so that you can say yes to a great thing."

;)

AJ
<><

October 12, 2006 9:11 PM  
Blogger Carolyn Burns Bass said...

Too many good things--what a concept. As much as I've loved being a mother, and would have enjoyed at least two more children, I look back and realize that the two children I have were just enough for me. I am blessed, Elisabeth, that you are one of them.

October 13, 2006 7:54 AM  
Blogger reiphil said...

The question could also be directed to "What do we need to survive?" There are many a thing that we could leave in everyday life and come back to. Baggage is not a neccescity. In the words of Spaceballs:

"Take only what you need to survive."
"Its my industrial strength hair dryer, AND I CAN'T SURVIVE WITHOUT IT."

What you think is good can also be harmful. Do we need to clutter our heads, burden our bodys, and trash our souls in the sake of having a good thing?

Anyways... I agree with you, stop the clutter :)

October 17, 2006 11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home