Bella Voce

to share, to hear, to listen, to discover, to learn . . . continuously

My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

Yes, "bellevoce" does not match the title of my blog. This near-Italian username stems from a play on words of my childhood nickname of Elle in combination with the Italian translation of "beautiful voice (bella voce)." My mother coined this name for my first email address and I have come to love it for its root in my Italian heritage and remembrance of my childhood.

Monday, August 07, 2006

Reflections of the Horizon - March 7, 2006

One of my motives for beginning this blog is to showcase some of my work and collect comments upon the style and content from a variety of sources. As so, I will periodically post a few of my works from previous times. I wrote the piece below earlier this year.

***

I invite the ominous horizon to drift toward my golden sunshine. The clouds of deep blue grey proceed in ranks upon the freely swirling atmosphere overtop my head.


Yet suddenly, a shadow envelops my position as the first advancement of the darkness arrives, and that shadow engulfs also my torn heart. The euphoria from the warmth of the sunlight fades and the chill ices my body and send shivers into my exposed heart. I begin to fear this awful majesty that I had just previously welcomed.

The landscape dulls from the glowing joy it once emanated. The sounds of darkness enhance as the breeze, which once played with my hair, increases and begins to tear it from my head. Only the tall palms can now catch the fading glory of the sun as they rise above the terrestrial gloom and stand in contrast to the approaching storm.

My heart is torn as it yearns for both the past bliss of ignorance yet desires the progression that the storm might bring. I stand in simple wait for the culmination of the ensuing chaos and fear the result of my anticipation. Will the torrential rain issue destruction or initiate new growth and life?

-I pray the latter.

---

Leave a comment...

3 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn Burns Bass said...

Elisabeth, you have the soul of a poet and the spirit of a scholar. I am enjoying your writing.

August 13, 2006 9:51 AM  
Blogger AJ Harbison said...

Great job Marge! ;) I enjoyed it. If I was a writer, this is the kind of stuff I would write.

Oh, and speaking of which, I should mention to you that I wrote a short story and now that you have a Blogger account I'd love for you to read it! (Not that you couldn't before....) You can either leave the comment on the post itself or on whatever my latest post is--all my comments are emailed to me so I'll get it in either case. I think this link should take you to the story when you click it.... If not, just go to the July archives and look for the post titled "Imitation Is The Sincerest Form Of Flattery; Or, A Short Story For You To Read."

Anyway, didn't mean to steal your thunder. I really enjoyed the post. I like the way that you strive to find creative ways to express your thoughts, rather than just recording them. The penultimate line made me think of Jars Of Clay's song "I Need You"--"Do I want shelter from the rain or the rain to wash me away?" I also have a friend whose AIM screen name is "The Latter Rain," which apparently is an Old Testament reference, and so the last two lines made me think of that as well. Good job--I look forward to reading much more in the future!

AJ aka Rocky aka the CSUF Rock Star
<><

August 13, 2006 10:29 PM  
Blogger AJ Harbison said...

P.S. Did you ever think about how dangerous it would be to start mentioning your Italian-ness within Mike's hearing/reading? We'll never hear the end of it!

Just don't post about your being an ENFJ.... ;)

AJ
<><

August 13, 2006 11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home